The Community Foundation for Kingston & Area strengthens our community by connecting the generosity of donors with the energy and ideas of people and charities addressing local community needs. Together, we’ve been making meaningful and lasting impacts in our community since 1995.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does the Foundation do for our community?
- Makes financial grants to a wide range of charities
- Promotes philanthropy and builds connections between donors and good works
- Acts as a catalyst amongst organizations to learn about and address community needs
How does it work?
- Donations are held in endowment funds (permanent or ‘spend down’)
- Income earned on funds is used to make grants to local projects and charities
Who gives to the Foundation & How?
- Individuals, families, businesses and corporations are welcome to make contributions
- Donations may be in cash, securities, bequests, gifts of life insurance or real property
- Donors may contribute to an existing fund or set up their own fund to address issues that matter most to them
How are the Foundation’s endowment funds managed?
- Funds are pooled, and invested in accordance with our approved Investment Policy
- Our investment portfolio is overseen by the Board of Directors with guidance of our Investment Committee
- The Investment Committee consists of dedicated professionals who work with our Investment Advisor to recommend policy, establish performance metrics and monitor the performance of the portfolio
- Our portfolio is held locally with CIBC Wood Gundy (Marc LeBlanc, Investment Advisor)
What else does the Foundation do?
- Actively leads and participates in discussions about community needs
- Produces annual data driven community reports (Vital Signs® and new Community Insights)
- Engages in special projects that enhance the work of the Foundation and the quality of life in our communities
How can I get involved?
- Sign up to receive our e-newsletters to learn more and receive event invitations
- Come to an event
- Make a donation of any size, towards any of our funds or to our operations
- Start your own fund
- Get involved as a volunteer
Affiliations and Partnerships
The Community Foundation collaborates, both formally and informally, with many different organizations to improve the life in Kingston and Area.
We are proud to be active members of:
Community Foundations of Canada (CFC), the national membership organization for Canada’s vibrant and growing network of over 191 community foundations. CFC supports and promotes community foundations in their important work, is active in many national voluntary sector activities, and works internationally to promote and support the development of community foundations around the world.
Imagine Kingston, a “solution network” of community leaders that acts as a catalyst for the advancement of ideas that enhance the city’s social, cultural, educational and business endeavors.
Kingston Immigration Partnership (KIP) Council, a local group with more than 20 official community members working to provide leadership to the Kingston community in its efforts to attract, welcome, include and integrate immigrants.
Sustainable Kingston, an organization whose mission is enhance the livability and resiliency of Kingston by sharing knowledge and providing resources and programs that drive community action.