The Stark Family Fund
The Stark Family Fund, established in 2003 by a $1.3 million bequest, supports a broad spectrum of projects in Prince Edward County. Grant applications are reviewed by a Grant Selection Team from Prince Edward County.
Application forms can be downloaded at the bottom of this webpage.
Click here to learn about the Stark Sisters and the legacy they left.
The deadline for The Stark Family Fund grants is once a year in January. The 2017 deadline is January 16th, 2017 at 4:30 pm. This may change year-to-year, so please check here or contact email@example.com requesting to be notified of the Stark Family Fund Grant deadline dates each year.
Fields of Interest
Animal Welfare, Arts and Culture, Community Development, Education, and Health and Social Services.
The geographic area served: the Municipality of Prince Edward County.
Specific Eligibility Criteria
All project proposals must meet our general eligibility criteria.
Successful projects will be characterized by many of the following traits:
- they build on existing community strengths and assets;
- they respond to clearly identified local needs and provide demonstrable enrichment to the community;
- they use resources efficiently and effectively;
- they involve meaningful partnerships;
- they strive for a significant and/or lasting impact;
- they benefit a wide audience;
- they show innovation, creativity, proactive thinking, and a degree of risk.
Grants for the following will not be considered:
- to cover deficits or retire debts;
- to provide endowment funds;
- to support the operating expenses of established organizations or programs (including predictable replacement of office equipment);
- for sectarian, religious, or political purposes;
- to respond to annual fund drives for sustaining support.
Grants will not normally be given:
- to contribute to major renovation or capital construction costs;
- to individuals (with the exception of scholarships or other extraordinary cases where supported by an intermediary organization that is a charity registered with Canada Revenue Agency);
- to provide money for fundraising activities;
- to cover wages of full-time staff.
Preference is given to new initiatives but a promising program may receive more than one grant in its early years provided there is evidence that the program is developing successfully. An established program may receive a grant when it faces a new opportunity or an unexpected problem.
Application and Process
- The Stark Family Fund has a two-stage application process: Letter of Intent and Full Application. Read the eligibility and instructions carefully.
- Download and complete The Stark Family Fund Letter of Intent Form. Further instructions are available in the form.
- Download and complete the required Budget Form.
- Deliver one original copy and five exact copies of the Letter of Intent Form and Budget Form and any other required documents in person or by mail, to be received by the posted deadline to: Community Foundation for Kingston & Area 165 Ontario Street, Suite #6, Kingston, ON K7L 2Y6.
Faxed, handwritten, late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
NEW in 2017: An electronic copy of your Letter of Intent and budget sent to firstname.lastname@example.org will now be accepted in place of hard copies! You must ensure that your LOI and all documents are received at the Foundation office by the deadline. Please send in PDF and do NOT zip your files.
- If your organization’s Letter of Intent is approved by the local Stark Family Fund Grant Selection Team, you will be asked to complete a Full Application Form which will undergo further review and, if recommended for funding, be submitted for approval to the Foundation’s Board of Directors for approval.
- You will be notified at the end of March or early April if your proposal has been successful.
- You will receive your cheque at the grant celebration which will take place in early June.
Grant Agreements & Final Reporting
If you are awarded a grant, you will be required to sign a Grant Agreement Form outlining the Terms and Conditions of the award before you receive your cheque. You are required to complete a Final Report within 30 days of the completion of your project. The Final Report is intended to help you evaluate the initiative and to help us evaluate the impact of our grants. See the Next Steps section on our website for details.
Stark Family Fund Full Application Guidelines
If you are unable to use any of the PDF forms, please contact the office and we will send you another version.
For further assistance, please contact Lesley Rudy, Grants Coordinator of the Community Foundation at 613.546.9696 or email email@example.com.