Who Would You Nominate for the Community Builder Award?! Nominations Due April 30th
“The Foundation’s Community Builder Award is intended to recognize the efforts of those who have made Kingston and area a better place to live, work, and raise families.”
- Getting Started – Giving children, youth and newcomers a strong start to life in our communities.
- Food Security – Ensuring everyone has access to healthy food to fuel their bodies and minds; providing education for food choices and preparation.
- Community Engagement – Inspiring everyone to be active participants in our communities, enriching our society.
This award has been established as a memorial to Geoff Sandiford. Geoff was President of the Foundation in 2014. He was passionate about our communities and lived this every day through his volunteer activities in Kingston and the surrounding area. Geoff led several community initiatives with the Foundation, served on the Frontenac County’s Sustainability Committee and advocated solutions to address food insecurity – to mention just a few areas that felt his impact.
Geoff embodied the spirit of a true Community Builder: he was always talking to people about community, making connections between people and ideas, and creating bold visions of what we could and should accomplish – together. His energy and passion enriched our communities and stimulated and inspired others. In an increasingly complex society, the Foundation’s Community Builder Award is intended to recognize the efforts of those who have made Kingston and area a better place to live, work, and raise families.
The Community Builder Award will recognize those who, like Geoff, are actively working to bring about significant positive change in their community.
1. Nominees will have made an exceptional contribution to the community by one or more of the following:
1.1 inspiring others to become involved in community building initiatives;
1.2 motivating fundraising projects large and small;
1.3 identifying needs and developing creative solutions to address the needs;
1.4 dedicating time, treasure and talents to community projects/ charities;
1.5 demonstrating action-based values including giving, joining, “asking” and serving.
2. The project, initiative or event that inspired the nomination must address one of the Foundation’s identified Smart & Caring priority areas: Getting Started, Food Security and Community Engagement (see details above) in the geographical area served by the Community Foundation for Kingston & Area.
3. The recipient will receive a plaque recognizing their achievements. A $1,000 donation will be made to a registered charity, selected by the recipient, carrying out work in the Foundation’s priority areas.
4. Nominations will be reviewed by a committee consisting of the Foundation’s Executive Committee, the Executive Director and a member of the Sandiford Family (or their designate).
1. Applications can be submitted any time; but must be received by the deadline.
2. The award will be presented at a Foundation Community Grants Celebration event.
3. The Foundation reserves the right not to make the award in any given year.
Deadline for 2017 Nominations: April 30, 2017
Applications can be submitted via email to email@example.com or hard copy to
Community Foundation for Kingston & Area
165 Ontario St. Suite #6
Kingston ON, K7L 2Y6